This week has been mostly trying to get my Branchwych painted, although some other dormant hobby projects have started ominously rumbling in the back of my head, distracting my focus and eroding the bedrock of my Sylvaneth master plan.
After last week’s treasure hunt for basing and texturing materials I got stuck straight into trying out some stuff on the Branchwych. The sensible person would try this on an expendable dryad test model, but I’ve never been one for test models. It either works and looks great, or it’s an unmitigated disaster that gets thrown in the Hobby Box of Shame and never talked of again. So here’s how that turned out.
I just started sticking stuff on with no real plan. The white stuff is baking powder. I was hoping to emulate moss but I’m not sure how the painting will turn out. The green stuff is some interesting lichen I found on a stick from the ash tree in my back garden. There are other various lichens, bits of bark, static grass clumps and miscellaneous plant growth scattered about as well.
Next up, I hit it with a black undercoat, and some Agrellan Earth for what I hope is a bark-like texture, and then a white zenithal (not a word, according to my spellchecker) layer. I’ve never tried a zenithal undercoat before, and to be honest now that I’ve started painting it doesn’t seem to make any difference. I assume I’m doing something wrong, but I’m not sure if I feel the need to figure out what, at least for these models. I suppose I’ve never seen a paint job from a zenithal undercoat where I can see any noticeable effect. If anyone can point me towards any suitable examples, please do!
I’d say that as of today I’m probably 80% of the way finished. I’ve only had a few evenings this week to work on it, and because I had no real idea how I was going to paint it before I started, I ended up painting some bits twice and going back over things. As a result some of the details have been a bit obscured under layers of paint, which annoys me, but not enough to strip it and start again. I did need to reapply a lot of the Agrellan Earth though. There was a stage where I really didn’t like it and was just about ready to chuck it and do something else, but now it’s starting to come together again. It’s not the best paint job I’ve ever done, but we’ll see how it turns out when it’s finished. The highlights are proving tricky to get contrast on; I don’t know if it’s the particular paints or what.
Anywho, here’s a dramatic WIP shot, and I should have it all done by the end of the month. Right on schedule!
~ Ross ~