This week I had the pleasure of seeing Ross’s latest offering – the Kurnoth Hunters – in the flesh (wood? plastic?). I also got to meet Aaron’s Ironjaws. Add to this Colin’s prodigious output of greenskins, and I suddenly realise: I’m pretty heavily outgunned.
My single miniature, and her accompanying feathered bodyguards, are fine for our initial skirmish level games, but pretty soon thereafter we’ll inevitably want to escalate. If I’m to have any chance against the lumbering hordes arrayed against me I’m going to need something with a bit of heavy-hitting power, and so this week’s efforts have been directed towards all things Gryph-Charger-y.
The Pallador and Aquilor models were a turning point for me, in terms of the Stormcast model line, and even in terms of AoS in general. The Aquilor in particular is such a good sculpt, and I’m not exaggerating when I say it’s the reason I’m even working on Stormcast. My only hope is that I can do it justice!
I also have a misgiving, however. I seldom paint a ‘stock’ miniature, without at least some degree of conversion or kitbashing. The Gryph-chargers are beatiful minis, but I’m struggling to decide whether to build them as guided, or to adjust them into something more personalised.
As they stand, the mounts themselves are almost ready for undercoating, and before this week is out I’ll decide if I can bring myself to carve them up…
I’ve always been more at home converting miniatures than painting them. Converting miniatures is one of my favourite aspects of the hobby; looking for ways to take a model in a new direction that makes it unique. This blog, and my current hobby goal, is about pushing myself out of my comfort zone and trying new things. While I didn’t really mind leaving the aetherwings unaltered, it’s harder to avoid the temptation to play around with such large miniatures, which are so eye catching on the tabletop.
All I do know, is that I need to get a move on. Given all these Orruks and over-fertilized tree folk, I need some heavy cavalry fast!
For those keeping tabs on my previous posts, I’ve made some further progress on my Realmgate. Though most of it is unremarkable (like adding plasticard to create ‘blocks’ on the gate itself), I did also begin some detailing. I’m hoping when textured and weathered such details will be quite subtle, but the busts on the gate – one male, one female – should hopefully juxtapose the guardian conversions to give some more little features for the observant to notice…
For now, I’m staring at a week of greenstuff work and detailing, but hopefully by next week’s post I should be just about ready to lay down some paint on the cavalry and the gate…