I diverged a bit from my intentions at the end of last week, surprise surprise. I got the Kurnoth Hunters finished off as promised, but instead of getting my 40k civvies done (which time is really running short on), I got distracted messing about with scenery instead.
I spent the weekend trying to blend the swords and bows. I did them the same way that I did the skin on the Branchwych (I think), but that was very much a lucky accident. I don’t normally write down my painting recipes (only because I couldn’t be arsed) so my method of working out how I’ve painted something previously is just to start on the model I like least and either get lucky on the first try or trial-and-error my way back to what I did before.
I got lucky with the blending this time, although some of the shades and line highlights are a bit dodgy, but I was going for speed over accuracy with this bunch, so I think I hit a happy medium. The bases were looking quite bare until I static grassed them, and it gets them closer to the greens of the board and the other guys’ models, so I’ll have to go back and do the same to the Dryads.
One of these two will be in my Skirmish warband. It was going to be sword-guy originally, but after I read the stats for Orruk Brutes I’m now strongly considering a long-ranged approach. Those giant orky axes aren’t good for my delicate wooden limbs.
I’ve been absorbing the scenery waves radiating from Mark’s posts, so I took a couple of evenings and fired together two little experimental pieces.
I had no real concept for these starting out, so they’re not really meant to be anything. Maybe they’re shrines that the people who live in the forest visit to leave offerings to the Sylvaneth who protect/choose not to exterminate them. They don’t even have any defining AoSey features, and some of the bits like the string thing look proper dodgy (cause I had to cake it in superglue to get it to stay) so they might just get chucked in the experiments box.
One thing I did want to do with these was play around with foam flocks. I stick foam flocks all over my Bolt Action stuff, but I’ve not had the nerve to use it on any of my Gee Dubs models, so I used this as a trial run for a quick moss/ivy effect. I think it turned out ok, but I’ll probably use some fine turf instead of the coarse and clump foliage I used on these things. I’d like to try it on my Tree Lord, and I might have a play around with trying to make some flowers or something as well. Ghur is supposed to be a bit (read: much) wilder than Ghyran, so I still want my forest to be more Mirkwood/Fangorn than Lothlorien, so if I was to do more to these scenery bits I’d probably add some twisted branches and some more moss and ivy, maybe some more washes to stain the stone.
I might do some more scenery before I paint more models and see if I can get the look closer to what I’m after. Still need to pick up some Sylvaneth Wildwoods as well, so I might try and work those in somehow. So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it.