Greetings, fellow humans! This week, I have mostly been painting some Nurgle Daemons.
In anticipation of starting my Death Guard army with Dark Imperium, I picked up a Start Collecting! Daemons of Nurgle box and painted them up using a variation of Adam Troke’s method from the March 2013 White Dwarf. Basically, their main colours are a basecoat Halfords Grey Plastic Primer followed by a green wash. I use the old Thraka Green (because I’ve got loads of it), but Biel-Tan Green is the modern equivalent.
I followed this up post-Dark Imperium by picking up a copy of the Blightwar box, and painting up the Nurgle contingent from that – bar the three Plague Drones of Nurgle. Ever since they came out, I’d earmarked them for converting into Beasts of Nurgle. As (disgustingly) lovely as the new Beast of Nurgle model is, I decided to go ahead with my original plan to convert some of my own out of my unused Plague Drones from Blightwar.
My initial thought was to just leave the wings off, but with their spindly legs they looked too insect-like to me. I wanted something more slug-like. In the end, I stumbled across this rather excellent blog by Rafal Maj, and my mind was made up. I kept things a bit simpler though by just using the Plague Drones kit; so I used the heads without the proboscis and filled in the arm and wing sockets with some Green Stuff balls which I painted them same as their boils/pustules.
I’m really happy with how they turned out, and they were really quick and easy to paint. So much so, that I’m tempted to get another Start Collecting! box to further reinforce my ranks…